There’s a lot of crap out there. Crappy news, crappy people. Really crappy moments. I think it’s important to pay attention to the good things. Remember them and carry those with you or the bad things keep weighing you down.
Besides, when you look for the good things, you find more good things and maybe life isn’t quite so bad.
If it’s not your style (yet, because you can totally retrain your brain), I challenge you to find one good thing about today – even if it’s something tiny. (Also a former CIA analyst shared some coping strategies for the bad stuff.)
Life has been busier than normal with my boss on maternity leave, a presentation that wasn’t going to write itself, lots of b-ball to finish (and the start of softball), viruses, etc and I wasn’t able to make all of that, my sanity, and this space a priority so something had to give. But, now I can breathe again (mentally and physically), I so thought I’d pop in and share some really great things that have been going on. It’s been awhile!
Moments to make me smile:
- Wizard of Oz on the big screen and sushi with Sue!
- The quiet moments the girls reach for hugs or snuggles.
- Sending snail mail
- Successful Valenties’s for the kiddos
- Adventure days with E
- Irish Nachos
- Gluten free black licorice
- Sharing a bit of Boston and the NEA with the kiddos and Nik
- Having great conversations with kiddos about what I need to know for my job.
- Having the right answers
- Reading 6 books in two weeks.
- Nerding out with N (science, Harry Potter, artsy stuff, and Rebel Girls)
- Productive travel for work
- Seeing E take to softball
- A perfect glass of pinot grigio over ice
- Basketball fun but also that it’s done
- Amazing conversations you never expected
- Making “mom” friends – and I’ve met some wonderful people out in the country!
- Checking things off to-do lists
- Finding the perfect gifts
- Seeing Adri and meeting her grandmother!
- Having a safe car for driving in the snow
- Aerial yoga and being invited to coteach occasionally
- Getting a project piece out and being done with it for now
- I don’t know if you’ve seen Selma Blair recently, but this was amazing. Jewish Mom Selma Blair Used a Cane on the Oscars Red Carpet. Here’s Why That’s Important.
- 12 Things to Do This Year to Make You Happier, Healthier, and More at Peace in Your Kitchen — Tips from The Kitchn
- OMG it was a terrible movie. ‘Bird Box’ Is A Bad Movie, So Why Do So Many People Like It?
- This post has some great points. Navigating the rocky road of girls’ friendships I’m a fixer by nature so I might struggle with some of this, but it’s an opportunity for all of us to grow, right?
- Are any of your favorites on this list? 26 Most Hated Fast Food Items From The Employees Who Make Them
I’ve also read the following books that I enjoyed so you can expect reviews for them:
- Queen of Klutz
- I Owe You One
- Pretty in Punxstawney
I’ll likely lump the ones I didn’t love into one post.
You can see more pictures on my Instagram.
Podcasts you might like:
I’ve really branched out what I listen to in the car these days! (I still listen to My Favorite Murder, Last Podcast on the Left, Smart Mouth, and Gone, but I’ve added a few more.)
- Mobituaries with Mo Rocca
- Stuff You Should Know
- Ask A Manager
Music to feed my soul:
There hasn’t been anything that sticks out video wise. Mostly we just have Google play a station these days. I have been listening to a lot of 90s on 9 and Pop Rock in the car. Lots of fun memories and sing-alongs!
Do you have anything new to share?
How about you? What good things do you have for the first quarter of the year?